Monday, May 24, 2010

Rhubarb Salsa for Wendy

5-8 cups of chopped rhubarb
juice of one lemon, juice of one orange or if you want to keep it all local use your own apple cider vinegar, about a 1/2 a cup.
1 cup sweetener, I use a cup of honey
1/2 cup water
a couple of onions sliced julienne
a dash of hot pepper flakes

Throw it all into a pot and cook until it looks like sauce. Hot water bath for 20 minutes. Makes about 6 pints.

I also freeze rhubarb. I chop it up an put in freezer bags. I will save this for any manner of mixed fruit crisps.

If I have cranberries left in the freezer from the season before I will throw those in the sauce and add a little more vinegar to make a chutney.

Enjoy!


1 comment:

Wendy said...

Thanks! Looks like canning season is starting early for me this year :). I usually don't start until strawberries are in, but this is very exciting ;).