Monday, January 5, 2009

The perfect food

I think that a good recipe is one where the result can stand alone;  each bite is full of yummy, nutritional goodness.  Soup falls into this category, as can a savory pancake.  A good recipe is one that is basic in ingredients and but can be improvised depending on what you have in the house. In our house a good recipe is one where we can sneak in green food for he toddler under the guise of familiar appearance. A good recipe is one that can last more than one meal.

I received Laurel's Kitchen for Christmas  ( Thankyou BIL Peter). Under the chapter of Heartier Dishes are Potato Poppers:

"1/2 onion 
1 stalk celery diced
1/2 tablespoon oil
11/4 cup mashed potato
1 cup brown rice
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole grain bread crumbs
1/4 cup parmesan

Preheat oven to 350
Saute' onion and celery in oil
Combine all ingredients and form into 1 and 1/2 inch balls.
Place on greased baking sheet ad bake on top rack of oven for 20 minutes, until delicately browned.  Makes 12 balls."

I did not have celery but I did have spinach. I added minced garlic and mushroom to the mixture. I doubled the recipe. This did not hurt the consistency at all. I used homemade tomato paste.  This is a great way to use of left overs of rice or mash potato.  The balls held together really well.

I think next time, instead of using all bread crumbs, I might add wheat germ, nutritional yeast or flax meal for added nutrition. I think you could also spice these up ala hint of Mexico by cooking down some salsa to a thick consistency; instead of tomato paste. Substitute cheddar of jack for the parmesan.

I served this with some Caribbean Black beans and a salad. ( I  know, I know greens are not seasonal now but I just craved some fresh greens).

3 comments:

Mindful Fiddler said...

This sounds yummy. I will definitely try it...

Wendy said...

Those do sound good! I think I'll try it too ;).

Kathy said...

This sounds delish (and I thank your BIL too). Going to try it this weekend!

Salad may not be in season, but sometimes you just gotta have one.