Saturday, June 6, 2009

Ramblings....

There is a fine, cool, local ale in my hand...A saturday evening reward for a week of hard work.

This is the last push: corn, tomatoes, basil, peppers,  beans.  Oh yeah...and more corn. We've planted 3 long rows of popcorn and three long rows of sweet corn.  I've spent the last few days mulching and mulching and mulching..It has been a very dry spring. The whiskey barrel is nearly empty but the bigun' is still a 1/4 full.

A fox got into the chickens. We lost our duck, our oldest hen and three year old birds.  But it was easy pickins for the fox mother. We've made it more difficult for her to get our birds. I, know that she just needs to feed her young but do not want to kill her for our own lax ways. She has a reprieve.

Emily, the ewe, is expecting. Her udders are full, her bits are swollen and we wait and wait and wait and still no lamb.  Maybe the full moon will provide the impetus she needs to see her lamb into this world.

Hubby comes home from work with end of the school year tales. We count the days till he is home but then he will be gone again with a visit to his cousin's new son and summer school.  We manage fine on his income but feel like we can't give up any opportunity to fill the savings account. These are uncertain times.

The boys? They grow. Today, I was remembering a conversation I had with the teen while pregnant with the wee one. Teen asked," So when will the baby be able to play legos?"  I said, "Well, when he ( or she) is about 3 or 4." Well, here we are and it is a beautiful thing to watch.

And I watch the teen. He changes daily. More mature, more assured but still he struggles with his relationship with his dad..so I do what any mother does.. I worry...

And where am I? I have been enjoying early bed times with good books. But soon, I will need to devote time to knitting. I have a special order and I need to  have some inventory of machine knit garments by the fall. sigh..it is so easy to get lost in a sunny day...

These days are full. Each one keeps me close to why we live this life.  Dirty feet at the end of the day, sore muscles, bug bites and a good thirst and a cupboard full of the fruits of my labors.   This is the rhythm of this time of year...

and so it goes....

No comments: