Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Independence Day Challenge Year 2, The sixth week

The days fall one into another. It is a busy time of year. This is the last week of school for Hubby. And then the calendar is full  of camps for the teen, trip for the husband, many doctor's appointments, work  and the work that we have around here.  

But this I know...I will get to the coast this month and put my feet in salt water. I will make sand castles with the wee one. I will eat  sea food. 

Plant something: Tomatoes, rattlesnake pole beans, jacob cattle dry beans, popcorn, ashworth sweet corn, zucchini, basil, amaranth, more carrots.

Harvested: spinach, salad, beet greens, scallions, chive blossoms, comfrey, lupines, kale

Preserved: chive blossom vinegar, dried comfrey

Prepped/ managed reserves: mulched tomatoes, potatoes, peppers. Picked up a gallon of canola oil

Eat the food: There are plenty of green salads on our table these days (YUM!). We are widdling away the vast store of various pickles in our cupboard.  I made a yummy soup out of local yellow eye beans, kale from the garden, local garlic sausage, potato and applesauce. It was a big hit.

Local Foods:  Not much this past week. But we are eating mostly from the garden and food stores. Oh wait...I bought a cherry tomato, and a grape tomato plant at the local feed store where the plants are grown locally...Phew...

1 comment:

Wendy said...

The irony is that I live two miles from the beach, but I can never seem to make it over there. I guess, because I'm so close, there's always the assumption that we can do it tomorrow. I should make the same declaration that you have, though: I will put my feet in saltwater and I will build sand castles ..., then, again, maybe we'll wait until September, when the beaches will be warm ..., and empty ;).