Monday, October 13, 2008

Use it up, wear it out, make it last, making do

I've been thinking about this little adage a lot lately.  As the economy slips into...what? Recession? Depression? I've always been a thrifty person.  I buy second hand clothes, we try to do our own repairs on our car, we buy our cars outright. We are trying to pay down our debt (student loan, mortgage, land payment).

Yes, we use it up, wear it out, make it last and make do.  Making do intrigues me right now.  It is the last part of this adage that I think lends itself to the most creativity. Making do has taken on more meaning for us since our hardware store burnt down. It is not so easy to run downtown to pick up the doohicky to fiddle with the thingamabob. 

So we make do with what we have around here.  When raspberries were in season I realized that carrying berries I needed a berry bucket. Hence one yogurt container with holes punched in the side. I strung old laundry line rope through the holes and made sure to keep the cover on the container so when I slid on my bum down the gully the berries stayed in the bucket.  

Making do, fixing,  repairing, repurposing. This will be the first in a series of posts exploring  how we make do on the homestead.  ( maybe now I can get some picks up with my posts.)

Do you have any little make-do projects that you are proud of?


1 comment:

Wendy said...

I love this post.

My favorite "make do" is my clothesline. My first clothesline was a retractable thing that I attached to the side of the house and strung over to the tree. After each load dried, I'd wind it back up until the next sunny day. One windy day, I hung up some sheets, and *snap*, the plastic hinge broke off the line casing. It wasn't something that could be easily repaired, but we wanted to give it a try.

We contacted the company, but instead of a replacement hinge, they sent us a whole new line. Okay.

So, I used it for about six months, and one day *snap* the hinge broke. My husband found a set of like six of them on eBay for about half the cost per that I was paying to buy one at a time, but I had no desire to be replacing my line every six months when the plastic hinge snapped, and then there was the question of what to do with the broken ones ... all that plastic.

So, instead, I drilled a hole through the plastic housing, and just screwed it to the house. It no longer retracts, but I still have a line, and that's kind of the important part :).