Monday, October 13, 2008

Replenishment soup, 3 posts in one day..Oh my!

Living on a gram of cortico steroids for three days so that I get my jaunty walk back depletes the body.  Calcium is stripped, electrolytes are out of whack.  I am puffy, crabby, restless.

 Last time I was on steroids eight years ago I was on them for 10 days of oral meds.  On the last day, I woke at 5am cleaned out the pantry  labeled, wiped down the shelves and made an 2 crust apple pie by 7am.  Insane.  It goes against my judgement.  When you are sick, you rest. At that time I said no more.  I needed to find a better way. I sought acupuncture, diet changes, knitting as a way to relax, connected to nature, herbal remedies.

But still, M.S. happens.  What I crave most is a bowlful of healthy food.

Replenishment soup:

2 leeks ( the last from the garden) chopped
2 cups carrots chopped ( from garden)
1 celeriac root chopped ( from farmers market)
1 cup dry dill ( to help with stomach unease from steroids)
5 clove garlic chopped ( to help build immunity, steroids suppress immunity)
1 cup chopped tomato ( they were last from the garden ripening on the counter)
1/4 olive oil ...add all this to stew pot and sautee until veggies are just tender

Add 1 quart home canned tomato puree ( vitamin c)
1  1/2 pint of homemade tomato paste(vitamin c)
2 cups soaked garbanzo beans
1  1/2 quart frozen garden corn
add 1/4 cup dulse seaweed flakes ( this is a great source of iron)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast ( great source of B vitamins for a body under stress)
2 quarts of water
 simmer on stove for about 45 minutes to an hour until the beans are cooked soft. 
add 1 quart home grown frozen spinach ( source of calcium and vitamin c)

If there is room in the pot 1 cup barley simmer for about another 20 minute or until barley is cooked. 

serve with bread your hubby made today  and a nice cuppa blueberry tea with raw honey.

I like that everything that goes into the soup was local, part of our food storage, or from our own garden. 

Slainte!




No comments: