Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Tour De Farm, Local Food Systems

I had to head to Dover today to drop off parts for our Micro Bus at the mechanic. On the way there I decided to make a tour de farm.

First stop was a local farmer who has a big trailer loaded with buttercup squash for 50 cents a pound. We had a lousy winter squash year here. There was just too much rain and the heat came too late. All July, while hubby was teaching summer school, I would drive by this farm when driving hubby to his car pool friend. The farmer would be out there every morning in the three large patches with his small rotary tiller that he would push through his rows. I admired his dedication. Now I will admire his squash:)

Next stop was Stutzman's Farm. They will be open for another week. This is my favorite farmstand. They had tomatoes and bell peppers. So I picked up just a few more to can up. I am still trying to decide how I will process the peppers. Maybe dehydrate, or maybe freeze.

Next stop was the mechanic.

After that, we went to the Library. I had the wee one with me and he needed a car break and a book about trucks.

After the library we hit the local general store, Bob's. It is something like an old fashion general store. They carry natural foods and animal feed, seed and garden amendments, kitchen gadgets and some home wares. They try to carry local foods and it is where we get eggs now that we have passed our chickens on to someone else. They had end of season seed on sale there for 10 for a 1.00. I picked up a couple dollars worth. I was thinking that we are still having hard times and some extra seed could be shared with friends and neighbors who find themselves with more time than money on their hands.

Next stop was Tudor Farm. They sell heirloom apples. I picked up a couple of pecks to round out the apple processing bonanza I have planned for Friday.

Last stop was Heartland Farm for some milk that I will be making yogurt and soft cheese with. He also sells apples and will sell me a bushel of apples to keep in our cold room for fresh eating.

I love that I found all this food with in 20 miles of my home!


4 comments:

Robj98168 said...

I froze my bell peppers last season and they worked out great! Just slice thin, put in a freezer bag and freeze. No blanching needed. Then they ar eready for spaghetti sauce or use in any cooked item- no one will know they aren't fresh!

Anonymous said...

Lucky you... we do have a couple farms near us but they do an awful lot of selling out of state produce which I don't approve of because I know some of it even comes from Mexico.
I freeze my peppers too just like Rob said.. been doing that for years with great results.

Mouse said...

Hey there. I hope you don't mind me asking, but where about sin Central Maine are you? We live in Norridgewock. I was wondering if the farm that went under might be near us. There are a couple that are on the verge of going under. It looks like Edmonson (I think that's the one heading out towards Skowhegan), Rowbottom, and the Blaisdell farm might be the only ones really thriving. The last cattle farm in my hometown shut down a couple years ago. The town refused to let it continue after the previous owner passed away. It's awful.

Also, on a lighter note, I hope you don't mind, but I linked you to our family blog (which is barely starting) at multifariousraymonds.wordpress.com.

~Mouse

Kathy said...

I love that you live somewhere where it seems, it's all just down the road a piece.

We too have our local farms, but man, they are becoming so, er, commercial!