Wednesday, July 8, 2009

What's for supper?

Ugh isn't it the eternal question? Next to, " What is the meaning of life?" comes " What's for supper?" 

I could write a post about menu planning and frugal cooking and sometimes I have it together enough to do that.

But sometimes I am not that organized.

So what is a hungry homesteader to do?

The answer is simple elegant fare that sits right outside in the front yard. 

One of my favorite quick meals to make is poached eggs on veggies.

Tonight the recipe looks like this:

1 cup beet greens chopped
6 scallions
2 tablespoons minced basil
a handful of shelling peas ( cause that is all that was ripe) shelled
3 carrots chopped
a bunch of broccoli florets
one left over chicken drum stick from dinner last night chopped small
olive oil 
6 eggs from our gracious ladies

Sautee veggies until almost done. Break eggs over veggies and cover. When eggs are poached, serve.

Serve with some homemade bread and a glass of milk. 


I like this recipe because I can use whatever veggies are on hand. A perfect seasonal dinner!

And that is what is for supper!


4 comments:

Wendy said...

Sounds delish! I wish my children would eat eggs, because we have chickens, which means we usually have eggs, and I love eggs!

For me, the fast and frugal dinner is homemade pizza. My favorite is "white" pizza with veggies from the garden ;). Tonight it's spinach and herb.

Anonymous said...

Sounds delish!.. wish my hub would eat things like that.

Kathy said...

Yum! How's 'the move' planning going?

Kathy said...

Come by and pick up your award!

Flamingofeathers.kathy@blogspot.com