Monday, June 22, 2009

Independence Day Challenge Year 2, The eighth week

Can you believe it's been eight weeks? In some respects this past week was probably the busiest week I've had in a long time. Too much time in the car:( But I  did manage to get somethings done.


Plant something: nope, unless of course you count my butt behind the steering wheel;) I am a little hesitant to plant a fall garden this year, in case we are not here. On the other hand if we have to stay in the house while hubby is working out near Farmington then it will come in handy.

Harvested: spinach, lettuce, Broccoli (yippee), scallions, fenugreek, lambs quarters

Preserved: Nope, but Strawberries should be ready soon.

Managed Reserves/ Prepped: Well, I did get something done here. First, one of the reasons I was in the car so much this past week is that I had a mammogram and an MRI. Second, we making phone calls to realtors, mortgage officers, rural development folks to make sure that we have all our ducks in a row before we put his house on the market. I am decluttering, packing  a little something every day; mostly, stuff we don't use.   A friend was  doing a wholesale order this month so I decided to do a bulk foods order with her. I will get my own account going when we are more settled.

Reduce waste:A friend works at a local Rite Aid and is a great source for boxes. I will use these for packing and mulching the garden.

Local foods: not much this week. But he local farmstand  has opened and they have plenty of u- picks that I will be taking advantage this summer.

Eat the food: Salads, salads and more salads. Eggs. Oooh and fresh broccoli. Yum!

Our Ewe, Emily, has been pregnant. For weeks we watched her udders get bigger and bigger and bigger. This past week she delivered her lamb. Unfortunately, her lamb came out head first and not hoof first, as they are supposed to. So one of us had to get our hands into her and get the lamb out. I have small hands so I delivered the lamb.  The lamb did not make it but with the good advice of a local homesteader we were able to save our Ewe. We have kept her penned separate from our other ovine until she is healed up a bit. But what is remarkable is that our goat and two other sheep make sure that she is not left alone. There is always one of them hanging outside her pen.


3 comments:

Anna M said...

Sorry about the lamb but glad you saved the Ewe.

I suggest you plant at least a small fall garden but maybe in containers? Kiddie pools and such? You could move it. Ahhh.... I'm probably crazy!

Wendy said...

I'm sorry about your lamb, but it's good that you were able to save the ewe.

A couple of years ago, we were looking at the possibility of moving, and I had that same dilemma - to plant and leave it all or to not plant and then not have it?? I think I ended up planting it all with the thought that the well-established garden would be a selling point and might bring a buyer faster :).

Kathy said...

Oh, too bad Emily lost her lamb, but I am very glad she survived AND that she has good company.