Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Spring Chicken Soup

The teen woke with a upset stomach today. A lighter shade of pale ( or is that green?).

He is feeling better but his illness means a change in menu planning.  Homemade pizza might not go down as well as some chicken soup. So I decided a little chicken soup from the garden, freezer and pantry.

Spring Chicken Soup

1 chicken.  I made stock according to Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. Cover the chicken with  water and some apple cider vinegar to draw out the minerals from the marrow and bones.

1/2 cup of scallions from the garden

1/2 cup of sorrel from the garden. Minced

1 cup corn from the freezer

1 quart jar of carrots from the pantry

5 cloves of garlic minced

1 cup of jerusalem artichokes chopped

1 cup green beans from freezer

3 tablespoons nutritional yeast


Bone the chicken,  add to stock with artichokes. Drain carrots but put liquid in the soup.  Sautee sorrel, scallions, garlic and carrots. When chokes are tender add remaining ingredients and sauteed veggies. Slat and pepper to taste. simmer for a about 5 minutes.

I served these with a multi-grain homemade cracker.


4 comments:

TheOrganicSister said...

Oh wow. I don't even know what sorrells are. :/

~Tara

Fleecenik Farm said...

Sorrel is a perennial green. It has a tangy, citrus like flavor. I wouldn't eat a whole bowl of it in a salad but mixed with other greens it is quite tasty. It is one of the first greens available in my garden:0

Anonymous said...

Chicken soup sounds perfect for anyone.. sick or not..
I'm sure he'll be fit as a fittle after having that soup.

mom said...

I could go for some chicken soup! I hope he feels better soon!