Monday, April 23, 2012

First greens in a rambling sorta way...

Tonight's dinner is in the oven. I sneak a few minutes on the computer. Small boy is drying off from a "tubba" while singing "Tom Doolie". Tad is composing. Big guy is in his room writing. LOVE THAT.

The house smells of sweet potato french fries roasting in the oven and a most local quiche. The first gleanings from the garden have finally found our plate. It is a quiche with dandelion greens, a meager stalk of precious asparagus, french sorrel and chives ( splendid chives).

Evan has exited tub and asks if I have invited his friends for lunch tomorrow. His bath towel is over his head and those lovely curls spring out from underneath. He will be six soon and I can not believe that he was my baby and now he is firmly in his boyhood. There will be no more babies at my age (45). There are so many moments in this boy's day that I wish I could capture by photo but they are so fleeting. They come and while I get the camera they are gone. So it goes...

At this point in my life I begin to think of second acts. I have so many ideas for so many things so I start and stop. The garden is always a source for inspiration. So for the moment I will work with this idea in this space.

There are so many good things coming out of the garden. Whether it is tender spinach sprouts or garlic or the first pokes of chard; I love this time of year. This is the real magic in the garden. I love to plant perennial greens in my garden. They are always the first to bloom and promise an early harvest. They are loaded with really good minerals and cleansing properties that our bodies crave this time of year.

Spring greens quiche:
Preheat oven at 350 degrees

Crust

6 tablespoons of  chilled butter
1 and 1/2 cups flour, may substitute 1/2 for whole wheat flour
7 tablespoons of cold water
dash of salt

Cut butter and salt into flour till it is the texture of cornmeal and add water until  blended well.  Roll out onto floured board. Roll to about 1/2 to 1/4 inch thickness. Place into 9 inch pie plate, crimp edges.

Quiche custard:

French Sorrel about 1/ 2 cup chopped.
Dandelion greens 1/2 cup chopped
Several stalks of asparagus chopped.
1/4 cup chives minced
7-8 slices of sharp cheddar cheese
3 eggs
1 cup of milk
 salt and pepper to taste

Layer cheese in the bottom of the pie crust, layer chopped vegetables and chives onto the cheese. Beat eggs and milk together pour custard over vegetable.  Give the pie plate a little shake in order to disperse the custard evenly.

Place pie plate on a cookie sheet in a preheated oven. Cook for 45 minutes or until solid in the middle.

Remove from oven and allow to cool for ten minutes before cutting.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Sounds yummy! Our garden feels sort of barren right now, but there are some pea shoots, and chives and the sage is starting to wake, and the garlic is about a foot high ... and of course, there are dandelion greens and other yums in a nearby field. I'm with you - I love this "awakening"!