Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Independence Day Challenge Year 2, The 10th week

Busy, Busy , Busy...

We've had still more rain. But we did manage to have some sun for a couple of days.  During that time we spent in the yard trying to get a month's worth of weeding done in one day. Oy! We also did a  crazy amount of laundry. We do not have a dryer and so we need the sunny days to dry our laundry. Haven't been too many good drying days. WE are still on blight watch of the potato patch and tomato plants. I've applied copper and will have to apply more later this week when (supposedly) the weather dries out.  We need Heat and Sun.  

I have been knitting a custom sweater for a client. The one advantage of the rain is that I do not feel as though I am losing out on the good weather while I while away the hours on a very big green sweater.

Moving plans are moving along. We have several folks interested in our land. We hope to use the proceeds from the sale as a down payment on a new home. We are making lists of things that need to be done at our house to have it ready to put on the market.  But until we have folks interested in the house I will worry..it's what I do...

Meanwhile I keep busy...

Plant: I had some empty spots so I planted more tomato plants, and a bee balm. I planted more carrots. I am thinking that if I stays cool I will plant more spinach when the peas are done. 

Harvested: comfrey, yarrow, lettuce, strawberries, peas, basil, beet greens, scallions, garlic scapes, broccoli,

Preserved: 8 1/2 pits strawberry jam, 3 pints dehydrated strawberries, 5 quarts frozen rhubarb,

Eat the food: My little guy is finally eating green foods.  A daily dose of broccoli with a smattering of green pea.  Whoo Hoo! Strawberry short cake, strawberry with our granola, strawberry ...just cause they are there. Local chicken. Plenty of salads.

manage reserves/ prepped: weeding, applying copper to spuds, plenty of packing and deep cleaning.

Local foods: We went strawberry picking. I think we will go back this week to put a few more in the freezer.  The local farm also has pea picking. The peas are slow to ripen here, so I think that a few quarts to supplement what we are growing would be prudent.  



6 comments:

Wendy said...

My peas did well, but (as usual) I didn't plant enough. I never plant enough. So, I'll definitely be supplementing with what I can get at the Farmer's Market, although, the plants are still flowering ;).

I do have a dryer, but I am very much committed to NOT using it. I held out for two weeks straight while it rained and rained, and then, I had to do a couple of loads ... and then, the sun came out. Figures! :)

Anna M said...

I don't even try to dry laundry outdoors, I dry it in the house. But... there's only two of us and clirty is a word here.

My peas are going great guns and I did not plant enough either. Note to self next year, quadruple the pea patch.

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy reading your post.. it takes me back to when we lived on a farm and makes me crave it again but getting too old now to do all that work but at least I can enjoy visiting your place with you. I have a tiny garden planted this year but had lots of rabbit problems.. I think we go that solved now.. there's always something coming up when you garden.
I have a brand new dryer but probably haven't used it more then a half dozen times.. I have a bar suspended from my sewing room ceiling and when the weather isn't being nice I hang our clothes on it, shut the door and no one knows their there but me :)

Lisa said...

I am at a loss with the weather and my garden. We hoped to supply a large percentage of our own food with our garden this year but alas, the weather has different ideas. I live in Central NH so we are dealing with the same weather patterns...

Nice to meet you btw. Where are you moving to?

Fleecenik Farm said...

Hi Lisa, Welcome. Thank you for commenting. We are moving to the western mountain region of Maine. My husband received a better job out there. We hope to continue homesteading there.

Lisa said...

Well good luck with your move, we will (someday) be moving to the western white mountains to Swood (off grid). Sometime in the next 5 years or so lol.
Lisa