Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Making Hay

So here is the burning question I have to ask....Who would actually roll in the hay? This was the question I asked myself as I was hauling bale after bale onto the wagon. My arms were etched in hay rash. Every inch of exposed skin felt like I was sunburned. Sweat compounded the sensation.

Last Friday was the first day of haying for the alpaca farmer down the road. As of yet I have not been able to find a job. Lots of seasonal farm work but that won't put food on the table in January. So in the meanwhile, I am grabbing any kind of work I can find. For the most part odd jobs. Farm sitting, gardening, house sitting, haying, computer instruction for the elderly couple down the road.  Not nearly enough but something is always better than nothing.

There are several  bonuses to this kind of work. I am getting pretty buff:) I don't need a membership at the gym (couldn't really afford it right now anyway). I love being out doors and I love hanging out with the animals I take care of. There is some flexibility with the farm/house sitting because I can bring Evan with me. This past weekend I was paid not only with cash but with eggs and wine! Omelettes served with a fine red for dinner! Cool!

While I am doing all this work I am still formulating my PLAN.  Gotta have a plan. So my plan is to find a part-time job, build Fleecenik Designs, and keep up with these odd jobs. Evan will no longer be homeschooled. This doesn't seem like a long term plan. No benefits, no health insurance,no vacation or sick time.  I'm forty-six and I am divorcing my retirement plan. Sheesh...All those silly statistics about women, divorce and poverty are definitely playing through my head these days. I don't have a college degree. So, well, what's a girl to do?

I have a friend who says," trust that the universe will provide. " For the small stuff I have found this is an okay philosophy. For the bigger stuff I believe we have to be a little more proactive. I gotta know my strengths and skills. I think I should probably look at going back to school and finally ask the question what do I want to be when I grow up? In the meanwhile, I'll keep pluggin' away with what I have...







No comments: