Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Strawberry Season

The fruit is ripe and being picked. Yesterday Tristan started his first day and his first job. When asked how he like it. He said," Oh it is hard work. But I will like the money." When asked to elaborate on what was hard, he said it was the picking of the berries because he is bent over the whole time. However, he did like the weeding.BWaahhahhah.....good...I am an evil mom;)

Anyway, I am hoping to freeze a dozen quarts of berries, make some wine, jam and a strawberry rhubarb pie. But I've been seeing some recipes for fruit leathers and thought I would give it a try.

Here is my own local recipe

1 quart of strawberries, remove stems and rinse.
1/4 cup local raw honey
most recipes call for lemon juice but lemons don't grow in Maine so I thought I would just add a small dash of homemade apple cider vinegar. The lemon juice is just for keeping color.

Anyhoo, most recipes call for heating up all the ingredients. I just mashed it all together with a potato masher. I spread some parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Spread evenly on the paper and place in an oven on lowest setting. I made this at night and left in the oven over night.

By morning it was ready.

With all the busy-ness we will have this summer, I was thinking that I could make a bunch of leather and freeze it. So that as we spend time driving back and forth, we can have a simple healthy snack.

No comments: