Thursday, December 17, 2009

I am enjoying...

I've been busy baking sweets and finishing holiday knitting. Today I spend some time with the sewing machine. Wish me luck!

In the meanwhile, I thought I would share some things I am enjoying.

This soup is delicious! I substituted buttercup squash for the pumpkin. I used this easy Garam Masala recipe.

I found this blog very interesting and this article in particular says it all for me.

I am working hard to make this as much of a handmade Christmas as possible. Here are some last minute quick gifts that we are making.

If you are a knitter and have some little kids on your list these hand puppets work up really quick. I can knit one in a couple of evenings. I made them in dish cloth cotton so that they are easy to clean.

Thumbless mittens are being whipped up fast and furiously at my house as well. All the kids in my family are under 5. Trying to get those little thumbs in a mitten thumb and hope that it stays there seems an exercise in futility. So I have been making mittens without thumbs in toddler/preschool sizes. I can make a mitten an evening. I hope to have my own pattern and pictures posted this weekend!

In our house we love to weave pot holders in our house. A few always find their way into Christmas gifts that the kids give. I think that this is a craft not restricted to children. I love to make them too and folks love their sturdy usefulness. You could whip up a whole bag of loops in an evening.

I plan on making a couple of these draft snakes today.

And lastly, I have made several pair of these slippers. They were very fun to make. I can crochet the squares for one slipper in an evening.

Just a reminder that Monday is the last day to mail packages and have them arrive on time.

Cheers!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're one busy elf.. Love all the neat gifts you're making and enjoyed the links.. gave me some great idea's.
Thanks and enjoy your day sewing.

Wendy said...

The only thing I can knit is squares, and I think those slippers are a perfect handmade gift for someone with my ... ahem ... limited ... talent ;).

I can sew, somewhat, though, and I'll be making aprons, hairbands and knitting needle keepers for gifts ;).

Anonymous said...

I am trying to teach myself how to knit!!! I've been watching how-to's on Youtube and am getting the basics figured out! Maybe next year I'll be good enough to knit some Christmas gifts! I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a wonderul, blessed new year!!

Kristina in Nebraska